Saturday, September 27, 2014

18 Miler

I added one more mile and it only took 3 more minutes. No, I did not run a 3 minute mile. Last week I did 17 miles in 2 and a half hours. Today I ran 18 miles in 2 hours 33 minutes. I figured out some important information over the past week and I think it has paid off. I sweat a lot. I started adding a little salt to my post-run-recovery drink as an alternative to Gatorade electrolytes. I don't really like the sugar in Gatorade. It really helps. On today's run I ran with two bottles in my hands. One was with salted water, about 1/8th teaspoon with 16 ounces of water. The other bottle was Gatorade. I drank the salted water first and then, when it was all out, I started the Gatorade. It was weird, not in a good way. The citrus or the sugar or something made my mouth pucker right away and made me instantly feel very thirsty. This would be fine if I was stopped and could just sit there and drink the whole bottle, but I still had over 5 miles to go. Lesson learned. I will try to stick to salt and water and skip the expensive sugar water.

No comments:

Post a Comment